Metal bellows are used in a variety of aircraft systems, including actuators, fuel systems, and environmental control systems. They are commonly used as flexible connectors in places where there is a need for movement or vibration absorption, such as in engine and landing gear systems. They can also be used as pressure sensors or as part of a fuel metering system.
Some Common applications include,
- Aircraft Landing Gear
- High-Temperature Exhaust Tubing Bellows
- Aircraft Hydraulic Accumulator Bellows
- Fuel Lines
- Bleed Air duct bellows
Bellows Systems has over the years worked together with our client’s engineering teams to develop aerospace bellows and other advanced aerospace parts for aircraft and rocket systems. We have extensive experience working with aerospace materials, including high nickel alloys.
Metal bellows are used in space rockets in various applications where their flexibility, reliability, and ability to handle extreme conditions are beneficial.
Some common uses of metal bellows in space rockets include,
- Downcomer Bellows – Cryogenic Transfer line Bellows are used rapidly transport cryogenic fuel or oxidizer from the tanks to the manifold.
- Flowline Bellows – used on fuel and oxidizer lines to the rocket engines to compensate for thermal expansion and contraction as well as vibration and shock loads during launch and flight.
- Feedline Bellows – used to provide flexibility to feedline going to engine nozzle assembly during gimbal motions. This provides precise thrust vector for stability and control during flight and landing.
- Propellant and Gas Valve Bellows – used in various valves and actuators within the rocket, helping to regulate the flow of propellants and gases and ensuring that they remain sealed in the vacuum of space.
Other applications include seal Bellows, fluid compensators and control systems.
Metal bellows are favored in these applications due to their ability to handle extreme conditions, including high and low temperatures, vacuum, and high vibration levels. They are often made from materials such as stainless steel or high-temperature alloys to withstand these conditions. Additionally, their precise control and reliability make them valuable components in space rocket systems.
- Aircraft Fuel Systems
- Missile Systems Tubular Components and Assemblies
- Rocket Ducting Assemblies
- Missile Guidance Systems
- Military Vehicles
Metal bellows are favored in defense applications for their ability to withstand harsh conditions, including temperature extremes, vibration, and high-pressure environments. They are typically constructed from materials designed to handle these conditions, such as stainless steel, nickel alloys, or other high-strength materials. Their precision and reliability are essential in many critical defense systems.
Our experienced engineering and technical sales staff can support your engineering and sourcing teams with design and development of fit for purpose,flight critical bellows components in a timely manner. We take pride in taking on challenging engineering projects and developing solutions efficiently through the use of our in-house design tools, 2D and 3D CAD/CAM, finite element analysis (FEA), prototyping and proof of concept testing.
We have full capability to reverse engineer your legacy parts and manufacture to the latest part specifications.
Welding–We have aerospace qualified personnel and processes for welding (manual and semiautomatic GTAW and RSEW procedures) per,
- PRI AS7110 Nadcap Accredited for Welding
- ASME Sec IX Specification
- AWS D1.1, D1.6, B2.1, D17.1 and D17.2.
- MIL Specs
Our catalogue of over 150 qualified procedures includes various combinations of similar and dissimilar metals and alloys. Bellows Systems has semi-automatic seam welding capability for a wide range of tube diameters (> 0.75”) and wall thickness (>0.004”).
Testing–Our bellows inspection and testing includes dimension, nondestructive and destructive examination methods. All aerospace bellows products go through a full AS9102 dimensional first article inspection (FAI) and associated reporting. Our testing capabilities include,
- Fatigue Life cycle testing (with or without internal pressure and temperature loads),
- Leak testing (air under water),
- Proof and burst pressure testing,
- Spring rate testing with load cells,
- Metallurgical and metallographic testing,
- Visual examination (VT)
- Radiographic Testing (RT)
- Ultrasonic Testing (UT)
- Dye Penetrant Testing (both visual and fluorescent PT)
- Load to failure tests (Limit Load Tests).
Latest News & Blog